About the Devizes Rugby Club
Rugby has been played in Devizes from as early as 1876 and one of our claims to fame is the record of having beaten Bath in 1877. The Club as we know it today was formed at the Bear Hotel on 11 June 1931 and so we were able to celebrate 75 continuous years of rubgy in 2006.A pitch was found at Nursteed Road and the Club was able to use the old Crown Hotel as its H.Q. until 1956, when the Castle Hotel became the Club's new base. Then, as now, players were in short supply, fund-raising was essential for the Club's progress, but the social side of the Club and events such as the Rugby Ball made the Club's reputation. In 1961 the Club moved pitches to play at Hopton on the outskirts of the town. This saw an improved playing record, capped by the Club winning the Bath 7-a-side Senior Cup for 2 years running in 1962 and again in 1963.
When the Sports Club formed up again in 1966 the Rugby Club found its permanent H.Q. there but had to wait several years before playing on the current pitch, which is known as the Chivers Ground after the late Bruce Chivers, which was opened by the England skipper, John Pullin, in 1973
How to Become a Member
If you are interested in joining one of our three men's sides, please contact us through the club website.
See the relevant section Seniors, Juniors, Girls or Ladies for more information and news on the developments for this coming season.
Club Gallery Photos